Monday, June 05, 2006

The Curse of the Pharoahs - Elizabeth Peters

Yeah, yeah, I know. I've just been on holiday to Egypt and a mate lent me this when I got back. Surprisingly, it's not as bad as you'd expect, mainly because the author's tongue is lodged so firmly in her cheek.


Set in the late 19th/early 20th century, this is a tale of Murder, narrated by the Feisty Heroine who is on a dig in Egypt with her Rugged Archaeologist Husband. Strange Things are Afoot, and the Credulous Natives believe there is (gasp!) a Curse! But we know better. Is the murderer the Annoying Irish Journalist? The Pale Young Photographer? The Nubile Widow? The Mad Old Lady?


As you may gather, the brush-strokes here are broad indeed. It has a similar feel to the film of The Mummy - cheery humour and unabashed cliché all running around and having a great time. It's all a bit silly but the author seems to be enjoying herself immensely, and this comes across in the writing.


I'm not sure I'd go as far as recommending this to other people, but it was a good fun book to read.


6/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home