Monday, January 05, 2009

Happy New(ish) Year!

OK, my one and only resolution this year is to get at least one review up per week, cos my slackness over the last few months has been a disgrace *hangs head in shame*. For a taste of what's (hopefully) on its way...


Reviews still in progress from last year


Watchmen - Alan Moore
The Inferior - Peadar O Guilin
The Ennead, Divide and Rule & Enough Is Too Much Already - Jan Mark
The Complex - John Duignan
Little Brother - Cory Doctorow


Books I haven't finished reading yet


Bloodheir - Brian Ruckley
In Search of the Craic - some folk-music journalist guy
The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 21
Bad Science - Ben Goldacre
The Extended Phenotype - Richard Dawkins
Howard Who? - Howard Waldrop


Books I haven't even started reading yet


House of Leaves - Mark Z Danielewski
Chronicles of the Xandim - Maggie Furey
City at the Edge of Time - Greg Bear
Feast of Souls - Celia Friedman
Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson
Dragonscarpe - Pat McNamara


Still waiting for it to turn up from Amazon


Thongor fights the Pirates of Tharakus - Lin Carter



If anyone has an opinion on which of these I should tackle first, then please speak now!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ms. Brighton:

Happy New Year! I don't meant to post this, per se, but I do not see another way to contact you. I am an editor at Putnam, an imprint of Penguin, and we occasionally publish some outstanding books that I think you might really like. I would love nothing more that to send you advance copies from time to time. Could you drop me a line and let me know if that would be alright? My email is Timothy [dot] Travaglini [at] us [dot] penguingroup [dot] com.

Thanks!

All best wishes,
Timothy Travaglini
Senior Editor
G. P. Putnam's Sons
Penguin Young Readers Group

8:38 pm  
Blogger Fee Dickson said...

looking forward to seeing what you think of little brother - just finished it, and there's a lot of food for thought there - fee

10:33 am  
Blogger Erik said...

I would really like to see a review on House of Leaves. I have read conflicting opinions on the book, and I don't know If I should read it. It would be really great if you could do a review on it.

2:20 pm  
Blogger Alice said...

Thanks for the feedback! I've just put up the Little Brother review and am moving House of Leaves to the top of the stack...

10:46 am  
Blogger Adam Whitehead said...

Yeah, I find maintaining a regular blogging schedule based around books alone quite difficult. My reading speed is a fair bit less than a lot of my friends who don't have blogs. That's one of the reasons why I decided from the start to have movie/TV/computer game reviews on my blog as well.

Here's to more Sandstorm Reviews in 2009! :-)

8:12 pm  
Blogger Eva said...

I'd love to hear what you think of "Bloodheir". My next Amazon spree approaches, and this one's a candidate because I liked "Winterbirth" well enough.

4:06 pm  
Blogger Okie said...

Cool list. I haven't read any of them yet, though many are on my own list for this year. I look forward to reading them and finding out what others think of them.

10:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home